Holy Year of Mercy: December 8, 2015–November 20, 2016:
“A time to heal, to help, to forgive.”
Catholics Invite Catholics:
“Come to Mass in the Lord’s house on the Lord’s day.” A way to remind people of a way to be faithful to the third commandment: Keep holy the Lord’s Day.
• Scripture study classes: Tuesdays after the 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James the Apostle Church
• Parish council’s worship committee: Monday, June 20, at 6:30 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus
• The “Between the Lakes” Planning Team: Wednesday, June 22, at 6:00 p.m. at St. Francis Solanus
• Community Blood Drive: Arthur E Bouton Post 770, 4431 Seneca Rd, Trumansburg., June 25, 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
• Fr. Bernard’s Vacation: June 25 to July 1 and from July 4 to 11.
• Vacation Bible week: Sunday June 26 through Thursday June 30, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. “Expedition Norway, Hear about God,” at the First Baptist Church, Trumansburg
• Merge of the three parishes goes into effect on July 1
• Summer Retreat: “Bread and Water, Food for our Spiritual Journey,” by Sr. Kathleen Murphy, OFS, Tuesday, July 19, from 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. at Branches Christian Rest and Renewal Center
• Summer Retreat: “Mother of Mercy, Son of God,” by Fr. Brendan P. Buckley, OFM Cap. Friday, August 5, from 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. at Branches Christian Rest and Renewal Center
• Capuchin Franciscan Candidate Discernment Weekend: August 12–14, 2016, at the San Alfonso Retreat House, Long Branch, NJ.
• Summer Retreat: “Finding God in Difficult Times,” by Ann Kern, Saturday, August 20, from 10:00 a.m.–4:00 p.m. at Branches Christian Rest and Renewal Center
• Diocese of Rochester Catholic Men’s Conference: Saturday, October 1, at St. Jude the Apostle Parish 4100 Lyell Road Rochester
• Pilgrimage to Fatima: November 14-20, 2016.
Baptism: William Cannon, Saturday, June 25, at 10:30 a.m. at Holy Cross
We wish all the Fathers of our parish a Happy Day, made happy by the expressions of love and gratitude for the service given in the home and to the family. We praise you and ask the Lord to reward you many times over. God bless you for the inspiration you are to your family.
Peter’s Pence Collection—Be a Witness of Charity:
Next week, our diocese will take up the Peter’s Pence Collection, which provides Pope Francis with the funds he needs to carry out his charitable works around the world. The proceeds benefit our brothers and sisters on the margins of society, including victims of war oppression, and disasters. Join our Holy Father as a witness of charity to those who are suffering.
The Parish of Mary, Mother of Mercy:
Mary, Mother of Mercy is the new name of the parish that will comprise the three churches of St. James the Apostle, St. Francis Solanus, and Holy Cross. The parish council members of the three parishes in a voting process chose the following of many suggestions presented by parishioners. In order of preference they were: Divine Mercy; St. Pio of Pietrecina; Mary, Mother of Mercy; Christ Our Light; and Bl. Teresa of Calcutta. On June 3, the proposed names, by letter, were presented to Bishop Matano who has the responsibility of naming a parish. In a letter dated June 6, 2016, Bishop Matano communicated that he chose the name Mary, Mother of Mercy. Bishop Matano writes: “This title seems to embrace all the themes and virtues contained in the other proposed titles and the exiting titles of the Churches.” Beginning July 1, 2016, the three churches, who maintain their individual building names (title), will be united under the one parish name of Mary, Mother of Mercy.
2016 Parish Council:
The new parish council met on Wednesday, June 8, 2016. The meeting, among other things, was an organizational meeting with the election of an executive committee and appointments to the standing committees.
Executive committee: Cathy Millspaugh, chair; Barbara Willers, vice chair; Kathleen Rourke, secretary
Word committee: Andrew Morpurgo, chair; Pam Jasikoff; Jeanie Wiggins; Scott Hamula
Worship committee: Jessica Portillo, chair; Michelle Barr; Amy Panek; Gerry Frank
Witness committee: Donna Brandow, chair; Charlotte Huyler, Jen Persoon
Fellowship committee: Nancy Shumway, chair; Phyllis Kaiser; Ron Singer; Susan Houseknecht
• The parish council’s worship committee will meet this Monday, June 20, at 6:30 PM at St. Francis Solanus.
• The “Between the Lakes” Planning Team will meet this Wednesday, June 22, at 6:00 PM at St. Francis Solanus
Fr. Bernard will be away on vacation from June 25 to July 1 and from July 4 to 11.
Vacation Bible Week:
Vacation Bible week will be Sunday June 26 through Thursday June 30, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. “Expedition Norway, Hear about God,” First Baptist Church, 4443 E. Seneca Road, Trumansburg. Contact 607 387 7705 for more information and registration. Check out pre-registration on Facebook.
Summer Retreats 2016 – Located On Seneca Lake:
Branches Christian Rest & Renewal Center (www.branchescenter.org) 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM, donation $30 (includes light breakfast & lunch).
- “Bread & Water, Food for our Spiritual Journey,” Sr. Kathleen Murphy, OFS, Tuesday, July 19
- “Mother of Mercy, Son of God,” Brendan P. Buckley, OFM Cap. Friday, August 5
- “Finding God in Difficult Times,” Ann Kern, Saturday, August 20
The retreats run from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., and a donation of $30 includes a light breakfast and lunch. Registration: contact Donna Wieand, 716-901-4313, email: email@example.com.
American Red Cross Community Blood Drive:
There is a community blood drive at the Arthur E Bouton Post 770, 4431 Seneca Rd, Trumansburg, on Saturday, June 25, 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.. Please phone 1-800 REDCROSS, or visit redcrossblood.org to make your appointment today! Prevent a summer shortage. Give blood.
Capuchin Franciscan Candidate Discernment Weekend:
The discernment weekend will be held August 12–14, 2016, at the San Alfonso Retreat House, Long Branch, NJ. For more information please contact: Bro. Tim at 845 642 1025/ firstname.lastname@example.org
The Middle School Robotics League is looking for coaches and mentors. For more information please contact email@example.com, or 315 889 1784 or Tracy Kirkman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trumansburg Food Pantry:
June and July are St. James the Apostle’s months to volunteer for the Food Pantry. The dates are June 6 and 20 and July 11 and 18. July’s dates are back to back due to the Fourth of July holiday being on a Monday. Parish volunteers, please sign-up in the vestibule of the church. “Thank you.”
Hundredth Anniversary of the Apparitions at Fatima:
Catholic Tour is sponsoring a seven day pilgrimage to Fatima, Portugal, from 3 Airline Gateways of Newark, NJ; New York JFK; and Boston, MA. The price is $1,599 and they can assist in securing air from your home city to one of the 3 gateways. The pilgrimage will also be leaving from Miami. The travel will be November 14-20, 2016. Brochures and reservation forms are available. Phone 1 877 627 4268 or email email@example.com.
Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy:
The origin of the Christian Jubilee goes back to Old Testament times. The Law of Moses prescribed a special year for the Jewish people to make restitution for wrongs committed, to forgive debts owed, and set slaves free. In the Roman Catholic tradition, a Holy Year or Jubilee is a great religious event, for the forgiveness of sins and the punishment due to sin. A Jubilee is a year of reconciliation between adversaries. It is a time of solidarity, hope, justice and commitment to serve God with joy and in peace with our brothers and sisters. The guiding principle of the year: “Be merciful just as your Father is merciful.”
The parish is in need of help in two areas that do not take a lot of time and have flexible schedules:
• Offertory Collection Counters – We currently have three counting teams that perform their counting activity either on Sunday (after the 10:30 a.m. Mass) or on Monday. The counting activity takes about one and a half hours depending on the size of the collection(s). We would like to increase the number of teams so that each team counts only once a month. Each team would consist of a minimum of two non-related individuals and would attend a training class to review the Diocesan/St. James counting procedures which takes about one hour.
• Parish Soft Data Base Entry – This activity consists of the computer data entry of all parish donations into a Diocesan mandated data base tool. This activity takes less than an hour and can be performed any time Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday morning. The diocese provides a user id and password along with a training class that takes about 45 minutes.
If you have any question or are interested in signing up for either of these activities please do not hesitate to phone the parish office at 607-387-6781 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Sisters of St. Joseph of Rochester Prayers:
Sister Susan Schantz, SSJ, continues to pray for St. James the Apostle Parish in Trumansburg. Let us keep Sr. Susan and the Sisters of St. Joseph in our prayers.
Toiletries and Hygiene Products:
There is a basket in the vestibule of the church for donations of toiletries. The request comes from Catholic Charities which is in need of items like shampoo, toothpaste, diapers etc. The items will be transferred to the Catholic Charities Office in Ithaca.
Cancer Services Program (Cortland and Tompkins Counties):
This a program that provides free cancer screenings (breast, cervical, and colorectal) to women from ages 40–64 and men ages 50–64, who are uninsured or have health insurance that does not cover these screenings and who meet income eligibility requirements. These services are provided in local health centers, doctor’s offices, and hospitals. For more information call 1-866 442 2262.
Ministry Schedules for St. James
Schedule for this weekend, June 18 and 19 (third Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Carol Kuklo and Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Kathleen Rourke, Cathy DelSignore, Traci Bump
11:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Glenn Stamps and Nancy Olszewski
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Mark Scibilia-Carver, Anna Zavala, Susan Stafford
Schedule for next weekend, June 25 and 26 (fourth Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Paul Povinelli and Carol Kuklo
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Cathy DelSignore, Joan Hogan
11:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Tara and Leon Webster
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Anna Zavala, Mary Szymanski, Glenn Stamps
Schedule for the following weekend, July 2 and 3 (first Sunday):
5:00 p.m. Mass
Lectors: Scott Hamula and Amy Panek
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Barbara Willers, Robin Hamula, Kathleen Rourke
11:00 a.m. Mass
Lectors: Lynne Stager and Maria Connell
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Mark Scibilia-Carver, Glenn Stamps, Mary Szymanski