Praise no one before he speaks, for it is then that people are tested. (Sir. 27:7)
Lord, it is good to give thanks to you. (Ps. 92)
Therefore, my beloved brothers and sisters, be firm, steadfast, always fully devoted to the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. (1 Cor. 15:58)
“A good person out of the store of goodness in his heart produces good, but an evil person out of a store of evil produces evil; for from the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks.” (Lk. 6:45
Live the Liturgy—Inspiration for the Week:
How quick are we to point out the faults of others? It is so easy to see what others are doing wrong and much harder to see ourselves for who we are. Many want to see themselves as one of the privileged and the saved and are quick to condemn those who choose to do things differently. We can be so hypocritical while at the same time proclaiming to be so spiritual. What we speak reveals the true thoughts of our minds and intention of our hearts. We fool no one but ourselves. Rather than being defensive, critical, and exclusive, does it not make more sense to help each other and work together for the kingdom of God? We may have to leave something behind, but in turn, we’ll gain much more.
Catholic Quotes—Words to Inspire the Faithful:
© Liturgical Publications Inc.
- AA Meetings:
- Tuesdays, 8:00 p.m., St. Francis Solanus, Interlaken
- Thursdays, noon, St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg
- Food Pantries:
- Ovid Federated church: Mondays, 10:00 a.m. Food Truck is every other Tuesday, 3:00 p.m. (March 5)
- Interlaken Reformed church: Fridays, 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
- Trumansburg Food Pantry: Methodist church every other Monday, 1:00–2:00 p.m. and 5:30-6:00 p.m. (March 4)
- Robotics: Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 6:00-8:00 p.m., St. James
- Coffee Hour: March 3, following the 9:00 a.m. Mass, St. James
- Ash Wednesday: March 6
- Choir Practices: March 7 and 14 at 6:30 p.m., St. Francis; after Sunday Mass, St. James; and Tuesdays, at 10:00 a.m., Holy Cross
- Forty Days for Life: From March 6 through April 14, Ithaca
- Bernard: Being available on Fridays at 6:30 p.m. will resume March 8, St. Francis
- Catholic Women’s Conference: March 9, from 8 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., Aquinas Institute
- Confirmation Candidates: Eighth and ninth graders, classes will resume March 10 at 4:00 p.m., St. James
- Day of Penance and Mercy in the Diocese: March 13, 2:00–4:00 and 6:00–8:00 p.m., St. Francis
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA): Instruction will resume March 20 at 7:00 p.m., St. James
T’burg Food Pantry:
When Jesus fed the multitudes, he needed people to help distribute the loaves and fishes. March and April are the months for Mary, Mother of Mercy/St. James to provide volunteers for the Trumansburg Food Pantry, located in the Trumansburg United Methodist church. The food pantry counts on our parish to provide to help out during these two months and we still need people on the afternoon shifts on March 4 and 18, and April 1, 15, and 29. Please sign up on the lists provided in the St. James foyer. Don’t forget to leave your phone number if you would like a reminder call. Next weekend is also our chance to donate food or money to the pantry. Just leave your donations on the table in front of the Mary statue at St. James. Thank you!
Through Catholic Relief Services (CRS), our parish provides Rice Bowl boxes for people to use during Lent. Pick up your family’s CRS Rice Bowl at the back of your church and, throughout Lent, add in your pocket change or other money. This is an easy way we can all give to those in need around the world and 25% of what we collect will stay in our local community. During the forty days of Lent, as companions on the journey, we will encounter our neighbor.
As we move closer to Ash Wednesday and, ultimately the Tridium, there will be a group Tridium practice at 6:30 p.m. at St. Francis on March 7 and 14. The Tuesday morning group has commenced at 10:00 a.m. at Holy Cross. This also provides an alternative practice time for any choir member who prefers not to be out at night. At St. James, feel free to stay and practice after Sunday Mass.
Lent in the Parish of Mary, Mother of Mercy
Lenten Reminders and Devotions:
- The season of Lent runs from Ash Wednesday (March 6) until the Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday (April 18).
- “Alleluia” is not sung or said from the beginning of Lent until the Easter Vigil.
- During Lent the altar is not to be decorated with flowers.
- Musical instruments may be played only to give necessary support to the singing.
- The Sunday and daily Mass readings for Lenten have been chosen in relation to the themes of baptismal renewal and conversion.
Lenten Days of Fast and Abstinence:
- Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are obligatory days of fast and abstinence.
- Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence.
- Abstinence: those who are over the age of 14 are obliged to abstain from eating meat.
- Fasting: those who are between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast (i.e. two small meals are not to equal one full meal
Ash Wednesday is March 6, 2019:
Distribution of Ashes:
- 9:00 a.m. Mass at St. James the Apostle
- 6:00 p.m. Distribution of Ashes Service at Holy Cross
Why Ashes? Ash Wednesday is the beginning of the season of Lent. On this day the Church invites us to receive a cross of ashes on our foreheads as a sign that during the Season of Lent we will make sincere efforts to cleanse our lives of sin and to discipline ourselves through prayer and fasting.
Who May Receive Ashes? Baptized individuals who have reached the age of reason may receive the ashes. Babies and young children who have not yet received the Sacrament of Penance should not be presented to receive ashes. The purpose of Ash Wednesday is to lead the baptized members of the Church to repentance and renewal of their baptismal promises at Easter.
Stations of the Cross:
- Thursdays of Lent, at 6:00 p.m. at Holy Cross Church followed by a communal soup supper.
- Fridays of Lent at 3:30 p.m. at St. James followed by Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament.
Sacrament of Reconciliation:
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession) is available Fridays, 6:30–7:00 p.m., at the Parish Center (St. Francis Solanus in Interlaken) or by appointment with a priest.
- A diocesan day of penance and mercy will occur on Wednesday, March 13. The celebration of the Sacrament of Reconciliation will take place in parishes throughout the diocese and in our parish at the parish center (St. Francis Solanus church) from 2:00–4:00 p.m. and 6:00–8:00 p.m.
All the faithful, after they have been initiated into the Most Holy Eucharist, are bound by the obligation of receiving Communion at least once a year. The precept must be fulfilled during the Easter season unless it is fulfilled for a just cause at some other time during the year. (Church law #920)
“The summit of the liturgical year is the Easter Triduum—from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are liturgically one day unfolding for us the unity of Christ’s Paschal Mystery. The single celebration of the Triduum marks the end of the Lenten season, and leads to the Mass of the Resurrection of the Lord at the Easter Vigil” (from the United State Conference of Catholic Bishops web site: http://www.usccb.org). Easter this year is April 21, 2019.
Ministry Schedule for St. Francis Solanus Church, Interlaken
Saturday Vigil Mass at 5:00 p.m.
March 2 (first weekend):
Lectors: Karl Messmer, Scott Hamula
EMs: Kathleen Rourke, Millie Messmer, Robin Hamula
March 9 (second weekend):
Lectors: Kathleen Rourke, Barbara Willers
EMs: Lee and Mary Davidson, Robin Hamula
Ministry Schedule for St. James the Apostle, Trumansburg
Sunday Mass at 9:00 a.m.
March 3 (first Sunday):
Lectors: Lynne Stager and Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Mark Scibilia-Carver, Beth Koeng
Ash Wednesday, March 6, at 9:00 a.m.:
Lectors: Carol Kuklo and Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Cathy DelSignore, Kathleen Rourke
March 10 (second Sunday):
Lectors: Mark Scibilia-Carver and Barbara Willers
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion: Lynne Stager, Beth Koeng, Mary Szymanski
Ministry Schedule for Holy Cross, Ovid
Sunday Mass at 10:30 a.m.
(information not available at this time)